The sun is shining!

It's another glorious day! The sun is shining and it's warm (below 20 degrees but above 15!) We returned home from holiday to a cold front and forescast of snow (and I'm sorry I just can't stick my hands into cold soil) but yesterday and today are just wonderful. I've walked around inspecting the garden and I can tell Spring is in the air. Flower buds are forming everywhere and my yellow Clivia that my Dad gave me has just produced it's first flower (after two years I think).


Yesterday I pulled back the shade cloth over the Veggie Patch and weeded. The little seedlings have done really well and are looking so promising and beautiful! I also planted out some Impatients that I bought for a whole R5 per pot while away, hope they are happy  ;-) I can't wait to get veggie seeds planted but I know I must wait a little longer. I did however in my search for info on seed saving (I'm going to try not to buy every season) find a great website that has a novel approach to winter sowing, go have a look at www.wintersown.org (lots of great info!). Hardy seedlings are started outdoors during Winter using mini-greenhouses made from recyclables; there are no heating devices, no energy wasting light set-ups or expensive seed starting devices. Here they use ziplock baggies:




And talking about greenhouses isn't this just inspiring?

 


These greenhouses are made from plastic colddrink bottles. How green can you go :-) So if you're still drinking cooldrink, start saving those bottles (you need about one thousand!)!  Here is a link to step by step instructions. Hopefully we might have time next winter (and enough bottles!) to tackle a similar project ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment