One man's trash is another's treasure!

A few weeks ago I ran into the wife of the owner of a local sawmill (they "farm wood" to make palettes) and enquired whether they sell slats to the public. She wanted to know what I wanted to do with them and after explaining about the raised veggie beds she suggested I drive through and have a look on their "scrap pile" as she thought I might find some useable pieces there. I was welcome to take anything I wanted free of charge she said as they regularly burnt these piles when it rained. She also told me that I could have as much sawdust as well as composted sawdust as I wanted. My interest was peaked ;-) So last week The King of Avalon left me his little workhorse and The Princes and I drove through to the mill, this is what met our eyes...

The scrap pile

The sawdust


We were bowled over, what TREASURE!!! We did six trips in total and this is what we have constructed so far...

A fence, well okay fence posts, but it is a sign of something great to come...

The Veggie Patch Gate

And a quarter of the raised beds
The gate was proudly designed and made by The Princes (it was constructed in the garage one evening and presented to me the next morning as I was asleep by the time it had been completed). All it's cost us is fuel to haul the wood, nails, hinges and quite a bit of time and energy. The latter The Princes were quite motivated to contribute, I'm so proud and excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment