The Practice of Hope

He arrives home at the end of a long week to be met by despair and heaviness. He holds me close and I tremble, waves of fear and exhaustion wash over me. It's tiring to nurture in the face of lack. Simple purchases become complicated decisions. How does one feed five adults on R30 a day? When a Prince says that he's so happy to be invited to a friend for the weekend because there's always so much food, I cringe. When he says he hates this time of the month when he's so hungry and just wants to eat all the time, this mother-heart sinks."Have faith" the King breathes into my hair, "creditors could pay". Oh, how I wish my shield of faith were bigger to extinguish the fiery darts of fear.

Nowhere in the Bible does it say "God helps those who help themselves." But it does tell us that God helps those who wait for him and hope in him.

These words touch me...

How often am I not patient enough to wait, to hope, to trust? How often do I not give in to fear, the enemy of faith, instead of giving thanks?

Three times this month our bank accounts have run dry and three times this month God has come through at the exact perfect time. Every time it becomes easier to wait, to trust, to give thanks, to practice hope and to live by faith one day at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment