The plans (for now)...

We need to start off by building Wattle fences. Black Wattle is an invader tree from Australia and it's stealing all our water and the indigenous trees' space. So the green- and frugal plan is not to buy any wood but to harvest our own from the commonage (areas that are not privately owned) instead. I would like to build a new chicken coop and run, fence in the new veggie patch (to protect it from the animals) as well as possibly the orchard so that it's also chicken-friendly (and will keep the dogs out while the chooks are "free-ranging"). We're thinking of even building raised veggie beds from Wattle. Raised beds with bark paths (cheap and easy to source from the local saw mills) will work best as the area I've decide on for the new and improved veggie patch has clay soil and can become water logged (drainage definitely needs to be planned).

The site of the new veggie patch
Then I dream of drip irrigation from the reservoir and more fruit- and nut trees in the orchard. Oh, and I really, really want a worm farm. I have been offered worms but need to get my head around the containers to use...

No comments:

Post a Comment