On our way to Cape Town!

The Princes have worked hard and I need a a change of scenery so we head for Cape Town for a few weeks. After a late start, a quick gammon purchase, a last tyre check and fuel top-up we're on our way. We pass a roadblock and the car in front of us is pulled over. Dory starts misbehaving outside PE so the Princes run in for breakfast while I keep her idling at Nanaga. I'm a little disappointed as it's not very busy and this is one of my all time favourite stops. The affair started in my cat-showing-days... I pull out her manuals and start reading: "Malfuntion Indicator Light" it says, something to do with emissions exceeding the legal limit. Mmm, so much for reducing ones carbon footprint.  When they return to the car they surprise me with Wedgewood Nougat and I smile, I hadn't asked for any but they know that to me it's special. They had bought just one small bar, just for me and none for themselves - something to add to my Thanksgiving Journal. The King of Avalon finally phones me back after bombarding him with desperate text and voice messages. "Have you switched the car off and on again" he asks. Typical, if all else fails - reboot, I think. "No," I reply "this is not a computer. I'm afraid she may not start again because when I geared down to get off the highway she died and would not start immediately again." But I do as he suggests and she starts, however the light remains. He speaks to the dealer and we're assured that it's not serious, that we may proceed. Dory had a full service prior to us leaving, one that cost us R5000 and have yet to pay. So we set off again, the road is quiet and as we approach Stormsriver it becomes misty, I'm reminded of home. Here I do the brave thing and switch off. I am stiff after sitting in one position for over 3 hours. The Princes go ahead and get us take-away coffee. I'm given a hot chocolate & coffee combo "because if you smell his you will not want plain coffee" I'm informed and I smile. I am blessed.We walk to the look-out point while sipping. Prince 3 plays with my little camera, I love his eye for composition, we have yet another artist in our midst...



 And then I take one or two, memories. Memories to hide in my heart...


We set off again, but this time we have some I-Power behind the wheel - Prince 1 has taken over. It becomes very overcast and soon starts raining. We pass another roadblock and the car in front of us is pulled over. Did the King not pray that angels will go before us, surround us? As we enter the Garden Route I am struck by the beauty and I'm once again reminded of home. I am blessed. In Mosselbay I slip behind the wheel again and as we pull away the sun comes out. We pass yet another roadblock and the car in front of us is pulled off. God is faithful. As the sun starts setting we enter Sir Lowry's pass - almost there.We are welcomed with plates of hot food and tired little ones that had counted the sleeps. And I am grateful. Grateful for fuel money, for beautiful wheat fields, for towering mountains, for twins allowing the other to lie on their lap and read, for travelling mercies, for family.

1 comment:

  1. OK, I'm hooked, can't wait for the rest of the travelogue. And I do so love a good nougat

    ReplyDelete